My CTMH Creations

Monday, September 3, 2012

Counting Down To Christmas...

I helped my daughter's Girl Scout troop make these SUPER CUTE "Christmas Countdown" frames last November....and they were a BIG hit.  This weekend  I decided to make one using our new Pear & Partridge Paper Packet (X7162B) and the BRAND SPANKIN' NEW Chalkboard paper sheet (Z1789)...which I love, love, love!  I've got a million ideas (for this paper) swirling around in this little brain of mine...some of them might actually make it out and into an actual project...

I'll start by sending out a huge apology for the crappy pictures...Ugh!  My cameras hate me.  BUT, you'll all be happy to know that I signed up for a beginners course in photography, this morning.  I saw a Groupon come thru and pounced on the opportunity...hopefully my pictures will take a turn for the better, very soon!






This is a 10x10 frame from Michaels craft store...retails for about $9.99, but they are 40% off this week PLUS I used the extra 25% coupon that was good for the Labor Day weekend.  Not exactly sure what the final price was, but it fell under the 'pretty darn cheap'category in my mind.  I will warn you though...the glass is super thin, so be very careful when handling ...I've cracked my fair share of these puppies!

Supplies Used:


  • Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge - used to cut the scallop border at top, scallop circle behind blackboard paper, flowers, and tree. (Z1686)
  • Pear & Partridge Paper Packet (X7162B)
  • Holiday Dimensional Elements (Z1772)
  • Chalkboard Sheet (Z1789)
  • Canvas Alphabet (Z1777)
  • Clear Assortment Sparkles (Z1752)
  • Harvest Assortment Baker's Twine (Z1751)
  • Designer Ribbon_Red Collection (Z1615)
  • Designer Brads_Antiqued Copper (Z1410)
  • Cashmere ink pad (Z2175)
  • Chocolate ink pad (Z2111)
  • Liquid Glass (Z679)
  • Glue Dots (1772)

Art Philosophy cuts:
Scallop border was cut at 1 1/2"
Scallop circle was cut at 4 1/4"
Flowers  (poinsettias) were cut at 3" (x2) and 4" (x4)
Holly leaves were turned length-wise and cut at 1 3/4 " (x6)
Tree was cut at 6" (3 of them, glued together for the 3-D look)
Blackboard paper circle was cut at 3 3/4"


Paper cuts (all under the glass):
The background paper is cut at 10x10".
I used a 10x2" strip of the green B&T paper
The red floral piece is a zip strip off one of the B&T papers
Cashmere sheet is 6x6 - randomly stamped and sponged in cashmere ink

Embellishments (on top of glass & around frame):

  • The tree is 'decorated' w/ sparkles and baker's twine faux bulbs.  I took large glue dots and just winded the baker's twine on top...using a little liquid glass to help fix the extra twine on top.
  • The presents are from the Holiday Dimensional Elements
  • Flowers and holly leaves have some sparkles on them.
  • Although you can't see them...there are a couple of  antiqued copper brads glued in both sets of flowers.
  • Scalloped circle is B&T paper glued to chipboard, which I sanded and then sponged in Chocolate ink.
  • 'Days til Christmas' is spelled out using the new canvas alphabet.  At first I tried inking them...but it made them too dark and hard to see w/ the paper patterns that were behind the glass.  So, I kept them 'as is'...much better!
  • Ribbon around the chalk is glued on there w/ Liquid Glass (again!) and then I attached it to the frame w/ a little piece of Velcro.
Don't let the list fool you...it is actually a very easy project.  If 15 fourth graders can put one (each) together in about an hour...just think what you can do?!? Give it a try ...and send me any questions.
Thanks for visiting!


No comments:

Post a Comment